Saturday, December 19, 2009

ANDREA


I met Andrea at an audition for Co-Op Theatre East a few years ago. We've been working on projects together since and I'm happy that she was willing to be part of this one. She is a regular in GirlPower (as both a performer and director) and is now a sophomore at Pace University where she's studying theatre. Andrea has a very bright future ahead of her. I look forward to seeing where life takes her.

Who Are You?
Andrea , 19 years old, college sophomore, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, listener and observer.

What do you believe in?
I believe in individuality, respect for each being and appreciation towards each other and the world we live in.

What kind of change do you want to see? Where do you see yourself fitting into your idea for change?
I would like to see more human politeness and understanding of the differences of others. I would like my niece to not grow up being concerned about being herself and worrying if she will be accepted for her looks, interests or otherwise. I see myself taking my ideas one step at a time, right now I am at a standstill. I am observing, listening, recording and testing the people that surround me everyday, taking whole heartedly into consideration the things people say and do.

If your life had a soundtrack what would be on it?
I don't have any specific artist in mind but definitely just tones and instruments mixed together forming funky rhythms, sounds, and beats.

If you could be doing anything with your life right now what would it be?
Attending school or traveling somewhere I have never been and learning from it.
I Can't Live Without...
Honestly, peanut butter and the internet.

What are you craving right now?
Now that I mentioned peanut butter what do you think?

Talk about a piece of art, performing arts, music or writing that changed your life...
I am currently reading a novel called, Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann and I am not even half way through it and within the first 20 pages I had to stop and call my parents to thank them for the life they have given me.

What motivates you to do what you do?
When I am inspired by something I have seen, read or been apart of. I want to give someone else that feeling and help them notice or see something they didn't know before.

If you were best friends with any historical figure who would it be and why?
I recently watched the film Milk and I was blown away by the confidence, certainty, bravery and beauty of Mr. Harvey Milk. I would want to be his best friend and stand up for something important.

If you were a character in your favorite fictional storyline (this could include a book, play, film, television series etc.) what would it be? How would your character be intertwined within the story line that already exists?
This is a bit of a silly answer, but I would like to be in the movie Mean Girls(2004). I would like to be the sarcastic, dry and Janeane Garofalo-esk character. I would like to be intertwined with the story line as the voice of reason always telling the obnoxious characters how it is.
Talk about a defining moment of your life. What happened? What did you take away from it?
A defining moment for me was this past summer when I got to show my parents some of the work I have done and things I have learned. "EMERGENYC" at The Hemispheric Institute @ NYU introduced me to a whole new world I had never known. I got to spend a month out my summer vacation learning, creating and bonding with 20 other artists who are just as passionate as I. When we had our end of the program presentation I got to express my feelings and experience through a spoken word piece I had developed throughout the process. It meant a lot to have my parents be there and to finally share with others the work I had done.

Talk about the best day ever.
I do not have a specific day in mind, but I do know that when I am having a great day it is because I have accomplished something, begun something, learned something or interacted with someone. When I can go to sleep feeling like I have put myself to use, that is the best day ever.

Who is/are your hero(es)?
I am in the process of studying and learning not only academically but about myself. I cannot say who my heroes are because I find it difficult to clarify who I am and what I stand for. I do know what I feel in my heart and that I am often inspired by many people, specifically Anna Deavere Smith. I read two of her books over the summer and she makes me feel that I am right in expressing myself in the way that I do and that it is worth something.


No comments:

Post a Comment